Living Yoga to the Fullest

Since being back home from our adventures in Thailand, I have been trying to take what we learned at the ashram into my daily life here in Washington. 

At first it was way too easy to fall back into old habits. Like sleeping in and staying up late to catch up on movies or TV's shows that I missed while I was gone. Also my eating habits were all over the place because we spent almost a month traveling and you don't always get the foods you want.  

I didn't expect it to be a simple change and I knew it would take months, maybe even years to fully get my life in the order that I would like. 

But I am starting small.

I wanted to share with you what fuels me every day to live yoga to the fullest and have a productive, fulfilling day. 

This is called a yogic lifestyle. And I may not live up to it every day but this is what I strive for.  


- Waking up with the sun: Ancient Ayurveda techniques tell us that we should wake up before the sun because it is what will give us the most energy. But as I am still struggling with this one, waking up with the sun will have to do!

- While still in bed, taking some time to stretch out the kinks from the night before is always a good idea. Gently stretching your back, arms, legs and hips. 

- Drink hot lemon water first thing. This one is so engraved in my routine right now. It truly helps you to wake up (way more than coffee does), flushes your digestive system including any toxins that might have been stuck in the intestinal lining and it re-hydrates your entire system especially your lymph nodes. Also gives you a burst a fresh breath! 

- Meditation and yoga come next. Taking at least 30 minutes in the morning to sit cross legged with a straight back and close yours eyes to meditate and set intentions for your day will really help you feel grounded and then taking time to stretch and do some sun salutations will give you the energy you need to feel good throughout the day. Or do the sun salutations first then go into meditation. 

- A small and healthy breakfast is very important. In the summer it was my fresh green smoothies that got me going but now that the colder months are upon us I choose a hot bowl of muesli to fill my appetite until lunch. 

- I then work on some writing or reading before taking my dog on a walk.

- From 10am-2pm our metabolism is up and running and we should have a nice big lunch with very little to no physical exercise during this time. 

- 2-6pm we don't want to eat anything but maybe a light snack and lots of fluids.

- After then, if you'd like to exercise again this is the time to do so. Before eating dinner, when your stomach is empty. 

- Try to eat dinner before sunset or around then. It's hard in the winter time when the sunset is so early now. So adjusting as needed but just being mindful of when this is and trying to eat a light dinner.

- Falling asleep before 10 is in your best interest as it gives you a good restful sleep and you're able to wake up before or with the sun in the morning. 

I hope this gives you some guidelines on how to start integrating a better routine and lifestyle for yourself. 

Don't ever be hard on yourself when you things don't go your way or you slip up on your diet here and there. 

Our thoughts are energy that feed our body and chemistry and when they become toxic thoughts, what do you think this does to your body?



Live Yoga to the Fullest



Comments